Nestled on the stunning northern coast of Mallorca, the picturesque town of Pollensa and its coastal counterpart Puerto Pollensa offer a captivating blend of natural beauty, rich history, and laid-back charm. With their idyllic landscapes, vibrant markets, and a range of exciting activities, these destinations have become popular choices for travelers seeking a tranquil and rejuvenating holiday experience. In this guide, we will delve into what makes Pollensa and Puerto Pollensa so special and why they should be on your must-visit list.
What to Expect?
Pollensa (Puerto Pollensa) is one of the most popular holiday resorts in Majorca, situated about 66 km. from capital Palma de Mallorca, on the north coast of Majorca. Pollensa is the town and Puerto Pollensa is the beach resort and welcomes thousands of tourist every year with its fine white sandy natural beach and crystal clear waters.
The resort has all the necessary tourist services. There are variety of nice hotels and apartments to choose from. There also many restaurants, bars, shops and leisure activities at the beach promenade. The restaurants and bars here are always full.
When you visit Pollensa, you can expect a delightful combination of pristine beaches, rugged mountains, and quaint Mediterranean charm. Here’s a glimpse of what awaits you:
The region is blessed with breathtaking natural beauty. From the azure waters of the Mediterranean Sea to the majestic Tramuntana mountains that form a dramatic backdrop, Pollensa and Puerto Pollensa offer a picturesque setting that will leave you in awe.
Rich History and Culture
Pollensa is steeped in history, with its cobbled streets, ancient buildings, and charming squares preserving the essence of its past. Explore the town’s historic center, visit the iconic Church of Our Lady of the Angels, and wander through its narrow streets to soak up the authentic Mediterranean atmosphere.
No Regrets Booking Advice
Puerto Pollensa boasts some of the most beautiful beaches on the island. Whether you prefer a sandy stretch where you can relax under the sun or a secluded cove for a peaceful escape, you’ll find the perfect spot to unwind and enjoy the crystal-clear waters.
With its favorable climate and stunning landscapes, Pollensa and Puerto Pollensa offer a plethora of outdoor activities. From hiking and cycling in the Tramuntana mountains to water sports such as sailing, kayaking, and paddleboarding, there’s something for every adventure enthusiast.
Why Holiday in Puerto Pollensa?
If you’re wondering why Puerto Pollensa should be your holiday destination of choice, here are some compelling reasons:
Serene and Relaxing Atmosphere
Puerto Pollensa is renowned for its peaceful ambiance and laid-back vibe. If you’re seeking a break from the hustle and bustle of daily life, this tranquil haven provides the perfect escape. Enjoy leisurely strolls along the promenade, sip your favorite drink at a waterfront café, and immerse yourself in the unhurried rhythm of the town.
Puerto Pollensa is an excellent choice for a family holiday. The town offers a range of amenities and activities suitable for all ages. From safe and clean beaches for little ones to playgrounds and family-friendly restaurants, you’ll find everything you need to ensure a memorable vacation for the whole family.
Food lovers will be delighted by the culinary scene in the resort. From fresh seafood to traditional Spanish dishes and international cuisines, the town boasts a variety of excellent restaurants and tapas bars. Indulge in mouthwatering flavors, savor local delicacies, and experience the true taste of Mallorca.
Art and Culture
Puerto Pollensa is home to a vibrant artistic community, with numerous galleries and exhibitions showcasing the work of local and international artists. Explore the art scene, browse unique handicrafts, and immerse yourself in the creative atmosphere that permeates the town.
Top Things to Do & See
Whether you’re seeking relaxation, outdoor adventures, cultural exploration, or gastronomic delights, the resort have something to offer every traveler. With their natural beauty, rich history, and warm hospitality, these destinations will undoubtedly leave a lasting impression on your holiday experience. To make the most of your visit to Puerto Pollensa, here are some top attractions and activities you shouldn’t miss:
1. Explore the Old Town of Pollensa
- Visit the Church of Our Lady of the Angels and climb the Calvary Steps to enjoy panoramic views of the town and surrounding landscapes.
- Wander through the narrow streets and charming squares, such as Plaça Major, lined with quaint shops, cafes, and restaurants.
- Explore the local market held every Sunday in the main square, where you can find fresh produce, local crafts, and vibrant atmosphere.
2. Relax on the Beaches
- Spend a leisurely day at Puerto Pollensa Beach, a beautiful sandy beach with crystal-clear waters. Relax on a sun lounger, take a refreshing dip in the sea, or indulge in water sports such as paddleboarding or snorkeling.
- For a quieter experience, head to Cala San Vicente, a nearby secluded cove surrounded by cliffs and lush greenery. This hidden gem offers a tranquil escape and is perfect for sunbathing and swimming in a more intimate setting.
Puerto Pollensa beach
Puerto Pollensa beach is the main beach of the resort. The beach is a great white sandy beach with a 9900 meters length and 40 metres width with fine sand, warm and crystal clear waters.
3. Take a Boat Trip
- Embark on a boat trip from Puerto Pollensa to explore the stunning coastline and nearby attractions. Cruise along the azure waters, admire the dramatic cliffs, and visit places like Formentor Peninsula or the picturesque village of Cala Figuera.
- Opt for a sunset cruise for a magical experience, as you witness the sun dipping below the horizon, casting a golden glow over the sea.
4. Discover the Tramuntana Mountains
- Lace up your hiking boots and venture into the Tramuntana mountains, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Explore the scenic trails that wind through olive groves, pine forests, and terraced landscapes, offering breathtaking views at every turn.
- Visit the Lluc Monastery, a spiritual and historical landmark nestled in the mountains. Take a guided tour to learn about its significance and enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
5. Sample Local Cuisine
- Experience the culinary delights of the resort by indulging in local cuisine. Enjoy traditional Mallorcan dishes such as sobrasada (cured sausage), pa amb oli (bread with tomato and olive oil), and fideuà (noodle paella).
- Visit local restaurants and tapas bars to savor the fresh seafood caught daily and paired with excellent local wines. Don’t miss the opportunity to try the famous ensaimada, a sweet pastry that is a specialty of the island.
6. Visit the Roman Bridge
- Take a stroll to the Roman Bridge, a historical landmark located just outside Pollensa town. Marvel at the ancient architecture and soak in the serene atmosphere of this well-preserved structure.
7. Attend Festivals and Events
- Check the calendar for festivals and events happening during your visit. The resorthosts various cultural celebrations throughout the year, including the renowned Pollensa Music Festival, which attracts internationally acclaimed musicians and performers.
- Experience the vibrant atmosphere, enjoy live music, and immerse yourself in the local traditions and celebrations.
8. Visit S’Albufera in s’Albufera – Muro
S’Albufera is a beautiful nature park which is a former lake separated from the sea by a line of dunes. S’Albufera has been covered progressively with sediments turning into a large flooded plain that is home to migratory birds.
9. Pollentia Monographic Museum in Pollensa
Pollentia Monographic Museum (Museu Monogràfic de Pollentia) is a great museum located at the site of 14th century former hospital. A nice collection of archaeological pieces such as ceramics, household shrine figures, cameos and sculptures from ancient Pollentia are exhibited at the museum.
10. Visit Palma de Mallorca – 66 km. from Puerto Pollensa
Palma de Mallorca is the capital city of Majorca. A great day out in Palma de Mallorca is a great attraction. Holidaymakers may explore Palma de Mallorca by city sightseeing buses. There are many beautiful and historical places to see in Palma de Mallorca that include; the Bellver Castle, sa Llotja (old commercial exchange), the La Almudaina Royal Palace (the old Citadel) and the La Seu Cathedral.
Top Selling Excursions & Tours from Pollensa
Here we only suggest the proven ways and top rated ones with travelers’ comments. You can feel free to book one of the below top selling tours.
Free cancellation up to 24 hours before activity starts
The resort boast a diverse culinary scene, offering a range of options to satisfy every palate. Here are some notable dining experiences to try:
- Can Moixet: This charming restaurant in Pollensa serves traditional Mallorcan cuisine with a modern twist. Indulge in their flavorful paellas, fresh seafood, and homemade desserts.
- Stay: Located in Puerto Pollensa, Stay offers a fusion of Mediterranean and Asian flavors in a trendy setting. Their creative dishes, stylish presentation, and attentive service make for a memorable dining experience.
- Clivia: For a taste of international cuisine, head to Clivia in Pollensa. Their menu features a variety of dishes inspired by global flavors, prepared with high-quality ingredients.
- Na Ruixa: This family-run restaurant in Puerto Pollensa specializes in grilled meats and seafood. The cozy atmosphere, friendly staff, and delicious food make it a popular choice among locals and visitors alike.
Pollensa and Puerto Pollensa offer a delightful shopping experience, with a range of boutiques, craft shops, and local markets. Here are some places to explore:
- Pollensa Market: Visit the weekly market held in the town square every Sunday. Browse through stalls selling fresh produce, local products, handmade crafts, and souvenirs.
- Passeig de Born: This pedestrianized street in the heart of Pollensa is lined with shops, boutiques, and art galleries. It’s the perfect place to find unique clothing, accessories, and artwork.
- Puerto Pollensa Promenade: Take a leisurely stroll along the promenade in Puerto Pollensa, where you’ll find shops selling beachwear, jewelry, and traditional Mallorcan products.
- Art Galleries: Pollensa is known for its vibrant arts scene, and there are several galleries showcasing works by local and international artists. Explore the art galleries to discover unique pieces and perhaps take home a special memento.
While Pollensa and Puerto Pollensa are not known for their vibrant nightlife, there are still plenty of options for evening entertainment. Here are a few suggestions:
- Bars and Cafés: Enjoy a relaxed evening at one of the many bars and cafés in Pollensa’s town square or along Puerto Pollensa’s seafront. Sip on cocktails, sample local wines, and soak up the ambiance.
- Live Music: Check out local venues that offer live music performances, especially during the summer months. Enjoy jazz, rock, or traditional Mallorcan music in intimate settings.
- Beachfront Bars: In Puerto Pollensa, unwind at one of the beachfront bars that offer a laid-back atmosphere, refreshing drinks, and occasional live music events.
Pollensa and Puerto Pollensa provide a range of accommodation options to suit various budgets and preferences. Whether you prefer a luxury hotel, a cozy guesthouse, or a self-catering apartment, you’ll find something to meet your needs. Here are a few recommendations:
- Hotel Son Sant Jordi: Located in the heart of Pollensa, this boutique hotel offers comfortable rooms with traditional Mallorcan charm. The hotel features a beautiful courtyard garden and a rooftop terrace with panoramic views.
- Hoposa Daina Hotel: Situated in Puerto Pollensa, this beachfront hotel offers stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea. It boasts spacious rooms, a swimming pool, and direct access to the beach.
- Villa Rentals: If you prefer a more private and independent experience, consider renting a villa in Pollensa or Puerto Pollensa. There are numerous options available, ranging from cozy cottages to luxurious estates, providing a home away from home.
- Hostels and Guesthouses: For budget-conscious travelers, there are also several hostels and guesthouses in both Pollensa and Puerto Pollensa.